This is pretty much my favorite sandwich ever (for today at least). If you subscribe to my newsletter, then you already know I will be leaving my full-time job (less than 2 weeks now) to pursue my other passions, like Skinny Sometimes (why does “passion” always sound so cheesy? Maybe I’ve just read one too many romance novels). Not only will I miss my friends, but I’m also going to miss several of the local restaurants around the office.
Enter the Cowboy Chicken Wrap.
I set out to recreate one of my lunch time favorites so I can still enjoy it on a regular basis. The result? Something I like even better and it is much more healthier. It only takes me changing my routine of 3 years to finally try to make it myself.
A couple quick tips:
- Caramelize two large onions ahead of time and store in the fridge. I recommend using 2 large sweet onions for a week’s worth of sandwiches for 1. If you’re not into cooking, this will seem like a lot, but it will cook down.
- If you don’t buy your cheese pre-cut (because you’re on a budget like myself), cut it ahead time when you’re caramelizing the onion and store in a bag in the fridge all week.
Easy, right? I’ve been packing this in my lunch all week. I’ve been eating lunch as soon as the clock strikes 12 because I just can’t get enough of it.
- 1 oz colby jack cheese
- 3 oz of chicken breast or chicken tenderloin
- 2 oz of your favorite bbq sauce (
- ¼ cup of caramelized onions
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- Assemble the first 4 ingredients on top of the tortilla.
- Wrap like a burrito.
- Heat the wrap in the microwave for about 1 minute, until the cheese is nice and gooey.
- Serve immediately.