Trail mix is one of my favorite snacks… especially when it has M&Ms or chocolate chips in it. I usually only eat those as a treat. I was pretty ecstatic when I found individually packaged trail mix at a very reasonable cost. I must have bought 6 boxes before I looked past the calories on the nutritional information. It was rather high in sodium and had added sugar.
It turns out, its rather difficult to find dried cranberries without added sugar and so I substituted raisins instead. I have been surprisingly pleased with my local Walmart. I was able to find both sunflower seeds and almonds that were roasted with no salt at an extremely reasonable cost. If you look for these products at your local Walmart, they will be in the produce section. They are not with the other nuts and seeds in the store. Sunmaid makes both raisins and golden raisins without added sugar, but I picked up golden raisins during a trip to Trader Joe’s. I’ve pictured my ingredients of this post so you can find which ones I use. Any almond, raisin and sunflower seed brands will be perfectly suitable substitutes, just be sure to read the ingredient list.
- 1 - 10 oz bag of roasted almonds with no salt (I like Wonderful Brand)
- 1 - 15 oz bag of Nature's Harvest Unsalted Sunflower Kernels
- 2 heaping cups of golden raisins (with no added sugar or sweeteners)
- 1¾ cups of natural California raisins (with no added sugar or sweeteners)
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Store in an airtight container or freezer bag.