THIS. WEATHER. I’m a girl in love. I jump out of bed in the morning humming “It’s A Beautiful Day” by Michael Bublé with an ear to ear grin on my face. I’m sure my eyes still aren’t fully opened yet and the humming is a bit off, but I feel like gold. The only thing I did yesterday was prep my food first thing in the morning and go for a long walk in this gorgeous weather. I then watched 3 Hallmark Channel movies in a row, took a nap on the couch and went to dinner at a friend’s house with Mr. Fitness. I went to bed early and woke up this morning without an alarm… smiling as I felt the fresh air from the opened window on my face. I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy on a Monday.
I have been busy with the Fall Issue of the Skinny Sometimes Magazine, which releases in less than a month! That means I’ve been busy in the kitchen perfecting the issue’s recipes, which doesn’t leave a ton of time for food prep. Be sure to subscribe to get the fall recipes in the issue. This week’s lunchbox prep has left me with a lot of options. It worked well last week and kept things interesting, so let’s get started:
1. I’m giving juicing a break this week… because I’m awfully tired these days so I’m going with green smoothies. Green smoothies are great because they also keep me full longer eliminate the need for me to eat oatmeal on top of it.
2. Taco meat. I love tacos. I also bought guacamole, salsa and even cheese to make quick tacos for work. The meat will also freeze well if I don’t eat it all… but I’m sure I will. Like I said, I really love tacos.
3. Sausage & peppers. Italian chicken sausage thrown in a skillet with peppers, onion and marinara sauce. Easy peasy. It’s great served with pasta, but just to avoid the gluten I will most likely eat it with brown rice or a salad.
4. I. LOVE. MEATBALLS. They are my go-to meal for dinner parties and I have left overs, so I have these to choose from as well. They are my Italian Turkey Meatballs posted a few weeks ago.
5. I cut watermelon and pineapple for both the smoothies and snacks. I usually have one in the smoothie and one for an afternoon snack.
6. Store-bought washed and precut green beans for a snack. I like green beans so much more than carrots. They don’t give me a headache when I chew.
7. I really like the new Chobani flavors. I’m not really a fan of yogurt unless it’s frozen and full of sugar. I love pineapple and caramel and raspberry and chocolate flavors. I don’t like the mint chocolate chip too much because it has that yogurt-y flavor I don’t appreciate.
8. Dark Chocolate Cherry and Cashew Kind Bars. I love these, that’s all you need to know.
9. Frozen yogurt. Because you know it’s going to happen several times this week. In fact, I am donating blood at the end of the week so I get 12 oz of free yogurt. I saw “12 oz of free yogurt” and immediately signed up. My favorite toppings are the cookie dough bites, brownie bits, sprinkles and hot fudge. Sometimes I put fruit on it, I’m not sure why though. Fruit is heavy and ups the cost. I need to do some deep thinking and get my priorities straight.
Your turn! What’s in your lunchbox this week?