My lunch looks rather small this week, but I assure you it is not. I’ve been eating salads frequently, but lately I just want meatballs. Meatballs are one of my favorite foods, especially when I make them myself. I make them exactly to my liking. My main dish is meatballs and tricolor quinoa pasta. This lunch will be a lot heartier than my lunches in the past few weeks and that is why I went light on the snacks.
Besides meatballs, I currently just want chocolate at all times. Chocolate and meatballs, there you have it, I’m easy to please. The Kind Bar is Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew and just in case that doesn’t satisfy my tastebuds (and it won’t) I will also have a 1-2 squares of Dove Dark Chocolate. A couple squares is all the fix I need. I find that if I give my body what it wants I end up eating A LOT less, and so I do.
I also have hard boiled eggs for a snack because in the afternoon fruit hasn’t been holding me over, I’m assuming it is because I have taken away the protein shake in the morning and my eating scheduled has naturally shifted. So it’s just a little bit of protein to tie me over. I also have cherries again. They were on sale and cherries are something I just love about summertime, especially Ranier cherries.
The meatball recipe is below… let me know what is in your lunchbox this week!
- 2 lbs ground turkey breast
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
- 1-16 oz jar favorite spaghetti sauce
- Mix the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, onion, pepper, garlic, eggs and seasoning together by hand until combined evenly.
- Using an ice cream scoop or quarter cup, measure out mixture and form a ball in the palm of your hands.
- Line the bottom of a slow cooker with a layer of sauce and place the meatballs on top. Once the layer is full, pour more sauce on top and continue this process until all the meatballs are in the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or until the meatballs are cooked evenly throughout.