After reading “Food In Jars” and trying out the maple almond butter recipe, I became pretty inspired to create my own. I still can’t believe how easy it is to make your own nut butter. In fact, for a few days I couldn’t stop thinking about homemade nut butters. And so, this Pumpkin Pecan Butter was born. I’ve noticed that pecans have more of a natural oil so you don’t need to add any extra. The almonds seem hit or miss depending what you add to them. I’ve been working on an almond coconut butter, but the consistency isn’t quite right yet, so stay tuned for that.
- 2 cups of pecans (halved or chopped)
- ½ tsp of pumpkin pie spice
- sugar substitute to taste
- Blend pecans in food processor until it turns into a nut butter (about 7-10 minutes).
- Mix in pumpkin pie spice and sugar substitute.
As far as the skinny meter is concerned, I’m putting it right in the middle, for moderation. Nut butters are healthy, but you can’t sit there and eat the whole jar. Although it’s good fat, its fat and a lot of calories. Be sure to measure it out and stick to one serving at a time.